Guardians of Gallifrey members watched the Second Doctor at our July meeting last weekend, specifically Tomb of the Cybermen and The Faceless Ones. We’re working our way up to the September release of Evil of the Daleks. Instead of having a trivia contest at the meeting, we created one. Answers can be found on the Answers 2021 blog page.
- Roy Stewart, the actor who played the powerful servant Toberman, also played what part in which other Doctor Who story?
- What did the Doctor say was his special technique for figuring things out?
- Name another character played by actor Cyril Shaps (John Viner in Tomb of the Cybermen) and the Doctor Who story in which he appeared.
- How did the Doctor know Peter Haydon wasn’t killed by the Cyberman in the front of the training room?
- What insects are the Cybermen in their tombs compared to?
- What cute little metal guy crawled/rolled out of Victoria’s purse?
- What did she do to it after it saved her from Kaftan?
- Which member of the expedition was (partially) converted by the Cybermen?
- How can you tell the Cyber Controller from the rest of the Cybermen?
- When locked in the tomb, what did the Cybermen use to attack the expedition?
- What did the Doctor say happened to the Cybermats he defeated?
- Why did the Doctor give a speech that seemed to encourage the villain Eric Klieg?
Bonus question (because I don’t know the answer): How many times does Victoria scream in the story?
Looking up info at IMDB, I came across the phrase “The Watch-A-Thon of Rassilon”—love it! The Second Doctor, as evidenced by answers to questions 2 and 4, had mad detective skills (at least, compared to characters around him). These were also on display in The Faceless Ones, especially when he examined the location where a dead body had been seen. The Doctor’s use of a magnifying glass and Jamie spotting a burn mark on the wall reminded me of a scene in the Guardians’ fanvideo “The New Order.” Speaking of, answer number 11 is a pun worthy of former Guardian Herby, director of our video!